The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. Therefore, you should always consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using any medication.
What is the dose for an adult?
For reconstitution of the suspension
- Add 5.7 mL or 11.4 mL of sterile water for injection to the vial containing 1 g or 2 g of oxacillin, respectively, to create a solution containing 167 mg/mL (250 mg/1.5 mL).
- Add 10 mL or 20 mL of sterile water for injection or NaCl 0.45% or 0.9% injection to the vial containing 1 g or 2 g of oxacillin, respectively.
- For IV infusion, dilute further with a compatible IV solution to a concentration of 0.5-40 mg/mL.
For susceptible Staphylococcous infections
Administer 250-500 mg every 4 to 6 hours, by IM, slow IV injection over 10 minutes or IV infusion. Increase the dose to 1 g given 4 to 6 hours for severe infections.
What is the dose for a child?
For infections due to benzylpenicillin-resistant staphylococci
- Body weight <40 kg: 50-100 mg/kg/day administered via IV in divided doses.
- Premature and neonate babies: 25 mg/kg/day administered via IV
How is oxacillin available?
This drug is available in the following brands, dosage forms and strengths:
- Cilvex powder for injection 500 mg/vial
- Oxal powder for injection 500 mg/vial
- Oxan powder for injection 500 mg/vial
- Oxapen powder for injection 500 mg/vial
- Wydox powder for injection 500 mg/vial
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.