The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Ponstan.
What is the dose of Ponstan for an adult?
Take 500 mg, three times a day or every 8 hours. Do not take mefenamic acid for more than 7 days.
What is the dose of Ponstan for a child?
Children 14 years and older
Give the same dose as an adult. Do not give mefenamic acid for more than 7 days.
Children 6 months and older
Give 19.5 mg to 25 mg per kg per day, in three divided doses every 8 hours.
Alternatively, you can give suspension doses as follows:
- 6 months to 1 year: 1 teaspoon (5 mL) three times a day
- 2 to 4 years: 2 teaspoons (10 mL) three times a day
- 5 to 8 years: 3 teaspoons (15 mL) three times a day
- 9 to 14 years: 4 teaspoons (20 mL) three times a day
For rectal suppositories:
- Age 6 months to 2 years (weighing 10 kg or more): insert 1 suppository every 6 to 8 hours. It is not recommended to give rectal suppositories for more than 1 day.
How is Ponstan available?
Ponstan is available in the following dosage forms and strengths:
- Capsules: 250 mg (Ponstan), 500 mg (Ponstan SF)/Forte)
- Tablet :500 mg
- Suspension: 50 mg/5 mL in bottles of 100 mL, 200 mL, and 2.5 L
- Rectal suppository: 125 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Ponstan, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.