What is Centrum® used for?
Centrum® is a brand of multivitamin dietary supplements. Different formulations contain different types and amounts of vitamins, minerals, and other micronutrients.
How should I take Centrum®?
Centrum® is available as an oral tablet. Many multivitamins contain several types of fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins as well as minerals. The oral tablets should be taken by mouth without chewing or crushing it. It is best to take it before or with a meal.
How do I store Centrum®?
This drug should be stored at room temperature (20-25°C) and be protected from light and moisture. For safety, keep out of the reach of children and pets.
Always check the label before using this product. Do not use if the printed expiration date has passed, the product seal has been broken, or the product has changed in color, odor, or consistency.
Do not dispose of this product by pouring it down the drain, toilet, or into the environment. Ask your pharmacist regarding the proper way and location of disposal.
Precautions & Warnings
What should I know before using Centrum®?
Multivitamins, including Centrum®, are generally safe to take at any time. However, most people obtain enough vitamins and minerals by eating balanced meals.
Only take vitamin and food supplements if you have a deficiency and your doctor recommends that you take multivitamins.
Before using this medication, inform your doctor if:
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to Centrum® or other supplements.
- You have a history of allergy to other medications, food, or other substances.
- You are taking other medications.
- You have underlying health conditions.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
This supplement may be recommended for pre- and postnatal supplementation. This drug should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus, as determined by your doctor.
Vitamins and minerals may be excreted in breast milk but it is generally safe and may improve milk production and quality. Supplementation should only be done with approval from your doctor.
What side effects can occur from Centrum®?
All drugs have the potential to elicit side effects even with normal use. Many side effects are dose-related and will resolve when it is adjusted or at the end of therapy.
Potential side effects while using this drug include:
- Upset stomach
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- Hypervitaminosis (especially with vitamins A, D, E, and K)
- Darkened or bright yellow urine (due to vitamin C and B-complex)
- Increased risk of kidney stone formation (with chronic and excessive use)
You may experience some, none, or other side effects not mentioned above. If you have any concerns about a side effect or it becomes bothersome, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Centrum®?
This drug may interact with other medications. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and inform your doctor and pharmacist.
Calcium and other minerals may affect the absorption and action of drugs such as tetracyclines, quinolones, calcium channel blockers, bisphosphonates, and thyroid medications. It is best to take Centrum® 1 to 2 hours before or 2 to 3 hours after taking these medications.
Vitamin E may potentiate the blood thinning effects of aspirin and warfarin. It can also reduce the effectiveness of certain cancer drugs and increase side effects of immunosuppressants.
Vitamin C is generally safe to take even in high doses, however, it may reduce the effectiveness of warfarin, cancer drugs, antivirals, and other drugs that require a less acidic environment to be absorbed.
If you experience an adverse drug interaction, stop taking this drug and continue taking your other medication. Inform your doctor immediately to reevaluate your treatment plan. Your dose may need to be adjusted, substituted with another drug, or discontinue using the drug.
Does food or alcohol interact with Centrum®?
The absorption rate is slightly decreased with food, however, taking it with a meal prevents gastrointestinal distress. Alcohol may lower the amount of certain vitamins that are absorbed into the circulation. Avoid alcohol consumption while taking Centrum®.
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any concerns regarding food-drug interactions.
What health conditions may interact with Centrum®?
This drug should be taken with caution if you have any of the following conditions or risk factors:
- Allergy to any ingredients in the preparation
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any concerns regarding specific health conditions.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist before using Centrum®.
What is the dose of Centrum® for an adult?
As a dietary supplement
- Take one tablet per day or as directed by your doctor.
What is the dose of Centrum® for a child?
- Centrum® is not formulated to suit the daily vitamin and mineral requirements for children. Consult your child’s pediatrician or a pharmacist for better alternatives.
How is Centrum® available?
This drug is available in the following brands, dosage forms, and strengths:
- Centrum® Advance FC tablet
- Each tablet contains: Vit A (equiv to β-carotene 3,000 IU & retinyl acetate 1,000 IU) 4,000 IU, lycopene 600 mcg, B, E-carotene-3,3-diol (lutein) 500 mcg, thiamine mononitrate (vit B1) 2.18 mg, riboflavin (vit B2) 3.2 mg, nicotinamide (vit B3) 15 mg, pantothenic acid (as Ca pantothenate) (vit B5) 10 mg, pyridoxine HCl (vit B6) 6 mg, biotin (vit B7) 45 mcg, folic acid (vit B9) 400 mcg, cyanocobalamin (vit B12) 22 mcg, ascorbic acid (vit C) 90 mg, cholecalciferol (vit D3) 600 IU, dl-α-tocopheryl acetate (vit E) 50 IU, phytomenadione (vit K1) 25 mcg, Ca (as Ca carbonate & Ca hydrogen phosphate anhydrous) 200 mg, chromium (as chromic Cl) 35 mcg, copper (as cupric sulfate anhydrous) 500 mcg, iodine (as K iodide) 150 mcg, Fe (as ferrous fumarate) 5 mg, Mg (as oxide) 50 mg, manganese (as sulfate monohydrate) 3.5 mg, phosphorus 50 mg, potassium (as sulfate) 80 mg, selenium (as Na selenate) 55 mcg, Zn (as oxide) 7.5 mg
- Centrum® Silver Advance (for adults ages 50 years and above)
- Vit A (equiv to 300 IU β-carotene & 1,000 IU retinyl acetate) 4,000 IU, thiamine mononitrate (vit B1) 2.18 mg, riboflavin (vit B2) 3.2 mg, nicotinamide (vit B3) 15 mg, pantothenic acid (as Ca pantothenate) 10 mg, pyridoxine HCl (vit B6) 8 mg, biotin (vit B7) 45 mcg, folic acid (vit B9) 300 mcg, cyanocobalamin (vit B12) 25 mcg, ascorbic acid (vit C) 90 mg, vit D3 600 IU, vit dl-α tocopheryl acetate (vit E) 75 IU, vit K1 25 mcg, Ca (as Ca carbonate & Ca hydrogen phosphate anhydrous) 200 mg, chromium (as chloride) 100 mcg, copper (as sulfate anhydrous) 500 mcg, iodine (as K iodide) 150 mcg, Fe (as Fe fumarate) 4 mg, lutein 500 mcg, lycopene 600 mcg, Mg (as oxide) 50 mg, manganese (as sulfate monohydrate) 3.5 mg, phosphorus 50 mg, K (as sulfate) 80 mg, selenium (as Na selenate) 55 mcg, Zn (as oxide) 7.5 mg
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room. Management is symptomatic treatment.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of this drug, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.