During a massage, a “relaxation response” is triggered. Once the body reaches this state, stress and anxiety levels decrease, while your heart rate and breathing slow down. Due to the kneading and stroking involved in most massage techniques, circulation in the blood and lymphatic fluid also increases.
Why Should You Get A Massage?
Massages do not differ much from the traditional hilot, and may even be more comfortable on your end. Whereas hilot sessions might involve pain, massage therapists take extra precaution to avoid causing discomfort that may do more harm than good.
One of the primary benefits of getting a massage is that it relaxes muscle tissue, which can effectively alleviate soreness or tightness in specific areas of the body like the shoulders, lower back, or legs.
Massages can also have positive effects on your sleep. If you are someone who suffers from insomnia or sleep disturbances, then massages may do the trick for you. Because of its relaxing effects, massages may help you wind down from a hectic day. A massage will be able to help you fall asleep faster. Massages might even alleviate body pain that is getting in the way of a good night’s rest.
Common Types of Massages
There are different types of massages that make use of various techniques. Some common types of massages are the following:
- Swedish Massage: This massage is best suited for first-timers. A Swedish massage involves long and gentle strokes without too much pressure. This is the type of massage you should opt for if you want to relax and unwind.
- Sports Massage: A sports massage can make use of massage techniques that can help alleviate or prevent any muscle strain from rigorous physical activities. This is most commonly performed on athletes.
- Trigger Point Massage: Trigger point massages involve applying pressure to “trigger points” or tight spots where muscles become overworked due to repetitive movement. You can actually perform trigger point massages on yourself if you are feeling particularly sore or tight in some places.
- Deep Tissue Massage: Deep tissue massages are for pulled muscles or other similar injuries that may require more pressure.
Risks of Massage
Massages are typically safe for anyone if done by a licensed massage therapist. In rare cases, massages may put you at risk of:
- Nerve injuries
- Blood clots
- Bone fractures
- Further damage to muscles
To prevent injuries during a massage, make sure to make an appointment with a licensed massage therapist from reputable establishments. It is also best to assess the room or area where you will be getting a massage to ensure that you are comfortable and safe.
The benefits of hilot are numerous and widely supported in the Philippines. A hilot and massage are good ways to complement medications or treatments, to help alleviate symptoms or even make the treatment more effective. However, both of these practices should not be used as a substitute or replacement for medication prescribed by your physician. It is also best to consult your doctor before booking an appointment with a hilot practitioner or massage therapist.