What Is Shoulder Pain?
Before we discuss shoulder pain causes and remedies, let’s first define the condition. Shoulder pain is a common complaint. It may arise directly from the shoulder joint or the surrounding tissues. If the pain worsens when you move, the pain may be due to the joint or the muscles in the area. However, if the pain doesn’t worsen with movement, another condition may be causing it.
What Are the Types of Shoulder Pain?
Because another condition may be causing the pain, it’s important to know about the different shoulder pain causes and remedies.
Concerning that, you must first identify the types of shoulder pain. The pain may be:
- Aching. Since aching shoulder pain may be caused by a tear in the cartilage inside the joint or osteoarthritis, the pain is consistent. Additionally, it can be caused by a “frozen shoulder,” also known as adhesive capsulitis. A frozen shoulder typically develops if you cannot move your shoulder for a long time. People who had stroke or those who underwent mastectomy (removal of the breast) are at risk of having a frozen shoulder.
- Burning. Burning shoulder pain may be due to inflammation, such as bursitis. Bursitis is the inflammation of bursae, or the small fluid-filled sacs that cushion the bones, muscles, and tendons of the shoulder joint. Burning pain can also be because of a tear in the rotator cuff. A rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons surrounding the shoulder joint.
- Radiating. Sometimes, the pain originates from somewhere else and just radiates to your shoulder. If this is the case, then another condition may be causing the shoulder pain. The most common is when you have a pinched nerve on your neck.
- Referred. Referred pain is felt on your shoulders, but the truth is, another part of your body has a problem. For example, when you have abdominal issues, like gallstones or pancreatitis, you may also experience shoulder pain. A heart problem can also sometimes manifest through shoulder pain.
The type of pain is directly connected to the shoulder pain causes and remedies. When you experience shoulder pain, be sure to ask yourself – what kind of pain am I feeling? This might give you an immediate idea about the cause and the needed remedy.
What are the Shoulder Pain Causes and Remedies?
Aside from knowing about the different types of shoulder pain, it’s also important to know the different shoulder pain causes and remedies.
The Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
- Inflammation of the bursae (bursitis) and tendons (tendonitis)
- Torn tendons. A tendon is a cord that connects muscles to bones.
- Impingement happens when the shoulder blade “rubs” on the underlying tissues of the shoulder.
- Arthritis or the swelling of the shoulder joint.
- Fracture (broken bones)
Remedies for Shoulder Pain
Lastly, when it comes to shoulder pain causes and remedies are the tips on how to lessen or prevent the pain. You can do the following: