The PhilHealth Benefits for Senior Citizens
What benefits can senior citizens get from their PhilHealth membership?
In this package, a certain amount will be deducted from the total private hospital bill. The bill includes hospital charges and the doctor’s fees. The amount to be deducted (case rate) depends on the patient’s disease or condition. For example, a senior citizen who’s admitted due to pneumonia can get a total deduction of Php32,000.
No-Balance Billing Policy
A senior citizen who is confined in an accredited public hospital will be able to avail of the No-Balance Billing Policy (NBBP). Generally, this means that in a public hospital, seniors need not pay anything upon discharge. Of course, this is subject to some rules.
PhilHealth benefits also cover outpatient services or those packages you can avail even without hospital confinement. Examples of these services are:
- Hemodialysis sessions
- Outpatient blood transfusion
- Radiotherapy sessions
- Tuberculosis Direct Observed Treatment Short-course TB-DOTS
- Animal Bite Package
TSeKaP (Tamang Serbisyo para sa Kalusugan ng Pamilya)
These PhilHealth benefits cover services like:
- Digital Rectal Exam
- Regular BP monitoring
- Lifestyle modification counseling
- Smoking cessation counseling
- Some laboratory tests, such as urinalysis, fecalysis, complete blood count, fasting blood sugar, chest x-ray, lipid profile, and sputum microscopy.
The Z Benefits Package
Now, if a doctor diagnoses a senior citizen with a disease that could be medically and economically catastrophic, they can ask for PhilHealth assistance. Essentially, these diseases might require seniors to undergo long-term and expensive treatments.
Examples of diseases under the Z package are:
- The early stage of breast cancer
- The early stage of cervical cancer
- Standard risk for coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Prostate cancer with low to intermediate risks
How Can Senior Citizens Become PhilHealth Members?
Senior citizens can claim their PhilHealth benefits in two ways: