Pregnancy may have you indulging in your cravings. But even though you are eating for two, that does not mean you can eat anything. It is important to eat a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables to ensure the good health of your baby and safe delivery. Here are the best fruits to eat when pregnant and why they’re good for mom and baby.
The Nutritional Benefits of Fruit
Fruits are great sources of vitamins and minerals that are vital to a baby’s growth. These include:
- Beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is an important nutrient for tissue development and a strong immune system.
- Fiber. The best fruits to eat when pregnant include those that have a lot of fiber. Fiber helps in relieving constipation and hemorrhoids. Additionally, it promotes digestion and healthy levels of cholesterol while reducing the risk of developing heart disease.
- Vitamin C. Fruits rich in vitamin C help the baby develop strong bones and teeth. It also promotes wound healing. Lastly, it promotes iron absorption. Note that iron is an important part of a pregnant woman’s diet.
- Potassium. Some fruits contain potassium, which is vital in maintaining the pregnant mother’s fluid and electrolyte balance. Additionally, potassium can prevent leg cramps, a common occurrence during pregnancy. It also helps in easing nausea and vomiting.
- Folate. For a pregnant woman, folate is very important. Not only does it prevent neural-tube defects in babies, but it also helps form red blood cells.
Now that you have an idea about the importance of fruits let us now discuss the best fruits to eat when pregnant.
The Best Fruits to Eat When Pregnant
Banana is a common Filipino fruit. Not only is it highly available, but it is also very affordable. It is one of the best fruits to eat when pregnant because it contains the following nutrients:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 regulates the mother’s sodium level. Remember that maintaining normal sodium levels is essential to achieving good fluid and electrolyte balance.
Guava or bayabas is a popular fruit among Filipinos as it is known to help in wound-healing. It is a great fruit for pregnant women because bayabas is rich in:
- Vitamin C
- Carotenoids (like beta-carotene)
- Flavonoids that have antioxidant effects
Additionally, guavas help mothers maintain good digestion and help to strengthen the baby’s immune system. One noteworthy thing about guava is that it has 4 times the amount of vitamin C than an orange.
The best fruits to eat when pregnant include apples because they contain:
- Vitamins A, E, and D
- Phenols (very important for heart health)
Vitamin A is great for the growing baby’s eyesight, while vitamin D is essential for bone development. On the other hand, vitamin E is popular because it is a well-known antioxidant, while zinc is famous for its ability to strengthen the immune system. Finally, apples are known to help prevent wheezing and asthma later in the child’s life.
Atis (Custard Apples)
Atis, or custard apple, is such a refreshing fruit because of its sweetness. It is also great for pregnant women because it is rich in:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Another great thing about atis is it promotes your baby’s cognitive development.
Avocado remains to be one of the best fruits to eat when pregnant because it has:
- Vitamins C, B, and K
Note that avocado has a higher folate content than most fruits. On the other hand, vitamin K is essential to prevent bleeding. Finally, choline is important for the baby’s brain development. Try to replace cheese or mayo with mashed avocado; you can also include diced avocadoes in salads.
Who does not like to eat fresh, sweet mangos? Mangos are great for pregnant women because they have:
- Vitamin C
Aside from these, mangos also help in digestion by preventing constipation. On some level, mangos also offer protection against some infections. These are the reasons why mangoes are one of the best fruits to eat when pregnant.
Commonly thought of as a summer fruit, watermelons are great to eat, most especially when pregnant. It is rich in:
- Vitamins A, C, and B6
- An assortment of minerals
- Lycopene, which is a great antioxidant
Watermelons can also help prevent heartburn, soothe muscle cramps, and reduce swelling.
Eating an orange is refreshing, especially on a humid day. However, for a pregnant woman, it is recommended to eat because it has:
- Vitamin C
If you have problems with your blood pressure, eating an orange may also help in controlling it.
A bunch of grapes will give a pregnant woman the following vitamins and minerals:
- Folic acid
- Vitamins B1, B2, and B6
- Various antioxidants
Because grapes are one of the best fruits to eat when pregnant, be sure to choose them when looking for healthy snacks.
Popular for its sweet scent and taste, chikoo is rich in the following:
- Vitamin A
- Assortment of nutrients
Chickoo is perfect in making sure that the mother and baby have enough energy. Additionally, it also helps in lactation, important for mothers who want to breastfeed. It is also one of the best fruits to eat when pregnant because chikoo helps with various digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea.
To ensure that you reap the full benefits of eating fruit, do the following:
- Wash the fruits properly to remove residues or pesticides, mud, or dirt.
- You can use a vegetable brush to ensure the cleanliness of the fruits.
- Never use soap or detergent when cleaning.
- Remove the bruised parts of the fruits before eating.
The Philippines is rich in a variety of fruits, so you will always have options. Remember, consume a healthy amount and a variety of fruit per day to nourish your body and your baby. Doctors recommend eating 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. When heading out to the market, refer to this list of the best fruits to eat when pregnant. Consult your doctor or dietician to ensure that you do not overeat and develop gestational diabetes.
Learn more about Pregnancy here.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.