Some of the most widely used treatments include:
- ADHD medication
- Combination of all these treatments, depending on the gravity of the situation
How Does ADHD Medication Help?
ADHD medication can effectively reduce impulsivity and hyperactivity. There is also an improvement in the ability to work and learn. Different medications and dosages may be required and should be closely monitored.
Stimulants. Stimulants are the most common medications for ADHD, working to increase certain brain chemicals like dopamine which plays an essential role in attention and critical thinking. These medications should be taken under strict medical supervision.
Non-stimulants. Non-stimulants can also improve attention and focus. These can be taken in combination with stimulants to increase efficiency.
When Should I See My Doctor?
Without proper ADHD medication, people see their condition worsening over time. It can disrupt schoolwork, social life, personal relationships, and any occupational functions, to name a few.
If you have a family member who you suspect may have this disorder, get medical intervention for early evaluation and subsequent treatment.
Lifestyle Changes & Home Remedies
What are some lifestyle changes or home remedies that can help me manage ADHD?
For children with ADHD:
- Help them keep a schedule or a daily routine, from the moment they wake up until bedtime. Maintain a bulletin board where you can post the schedule and for them to easily see.
- Organize things and keep them in place to encourage control and coordination.
- Encourage them to keep an organizer where they can note down homework and assignments.
- Praise them for good behavior.
- Be consistent with rules and make it simple so they can easily understand them.
For adults with ADHD:
- Assign a place where they can keep house keys, car keys, bills, and other important articles.
- Keep and maintain a daily routine.
- Make lists for activities and other tasks.
- Keep a calendar or organizer to schedule activities and events.
- Help them break down tasks so that each step becomes an accomplishment.
People with ADHD deserve and need all the help they can get. To manage symptoms, there is proper ADHD medication and other therapies.
The key here is to perform early diagnosis. If you suspect your family member to have ADHD, take them to a doctor for evaluation.
Learn more about a Healthy Mind here.