Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
Erectile Dysfunction, or ED, is having trouble getting or keeping an erection that is firm enough to allow sexual intercourse.
ED can be caused by many reasons:
- When blood flow in the penis is minimal
- When nerves in the penis are harmed
- Having stress, anxiety, depression
- Serves as a warning sign of a more serious illness
How do erections work?
An erection is having an increased blood flow to your penis. When a man is aroused, chemicals are released that increase blood flow to the penis. This blood flow is usually from thinking sexual thoughts or having contact with your penis. With the steady and increased blood flow, the two chambers inside the penis will be filled making the penis grow firm and hard.
Conversely, the penis is flaccid if you are not sexually aroused.
Erectile dysfunction symptoms
If you experience these regularly, it is best to schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider:
- Having trouble getting an erection
- Can’t maintain an erection during sexual activities
- Lessened interest in sex
Experiencing these for three or more months could be a sign of a more serious underlying illnesses.