First aid treatment
If you or someone you know suddenly shows signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is important to get fresh air and find the source of the carbon monoxide. Open windows or doors to allow the carbon monoxide to dissipate from the area. Turn off appliances or put out any fires or gas stoves.
Severe carbon monoxide poisoning is considered a medical emergency, especially for children, the elderly, and those with pre-existing lung conditions. Contact your local emergency care services for treatment right away.
Aside from smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors in your home and workspaces can prevent accidental poisoning.
In summary, carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer. Despite being toxic, this gas is very common in the environment.
Household exposure is often due to cars, burning coal, wood, or trash, and gas stoves and appliances. Cigarette smoke also contains carbon monoxide, making smoking and secondhand smoke another source.
If you or someone you know is experiencing headaches, nausea, or loss of consciousness after exposure to any of these things, it may be due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Talk to a doctor or contact emergency services right away for treatment.
Learn more about First Aid here.