What Causes These Headaches?
The short answer is that, for primary headaches, doctors do not usually know what the specific cause is. However, doctors can rule out the brain tissue and the skull, since these do not have any nerves that can cause pain.
What this means is that it is usually the nerves, blood vessels, or muscles in the head or even in the neck that might be causing the headache.
The causes of secondary headaches also vary depending on what illness is causing the headache. This is why it can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of a headache, since there are a lot of possible causes.
What Are the Types of Headaches to Worry About?
Headaches are a common occurrence and while some people experience it more often than others, it usually isn’t a cause for concern.
But there are certain types of headaches to worry about, and it is important to know what these are so that you can seek treatment immediately.
Here are some things to watch out for:
- Chronic headaches that happen after age 50
- Headaches that get worse when you move or cough
- Headaches that wake you up when you’re asleep
- Any type of headache that makes you unable to do your daily activities
- Experiencing a headache after hitting your head
- Headaches that keep getting worse
- A severe headache that has never happened before
- Sudden changes in personality or mood
- Headaches that happen with fever, stiff neck, weakness, fatigue, numbness, difficulty speaking
- Headaches with pain in your temples
- Having a red eye along with a headache
If you experience any headaches similar to any mentioned above, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it. It is always a good idea to listen to what your body tells you, especially when it comes to headaches.
Lifestyle Changes & Home Remedies
While headaches are caused by different things, there are certain lifestyle changes and home remedies that can help lower the risk of having headaches in general. Here are some things that you can do: