How To Use a Breast Pump Manually
Before becoming accustomed to using an electric pump, it is best to learn the basics from a regular handheld pump.
Read the guide and the instruction leaflet that came with the pump. Make sure you understand how to assemble it and how frequently you will need to clean and sanitize the parts. It may also help if you choose a good and comfortable location for pumping.
Here are some tips that could help you on how to use a breast pump.
- Before using the device, ensure that your pump, bottle, and parts are clean and sterile. Don’t forget to wash your hands, too.
- Begin by massaging your breasts for a few minutes. This will aid in the let-down reflex.
- Place the breast shield or funnel over your nipple and begin pumping slowly. It might take a couple of minutes before your milk starts flowing.
- When your milk production begins to slow, switch breasts. Then switch back because you might have more milk to express. It is natural for one breast to produce more milk than the other.
- After emptying both of your breasts, it is now time to remove the breast shield. Tighten the bottle’s lid to make sure it is properly screwed on.
You have the option to either immediately refrigerate breastmilk or leave it out at room temperature for no more than 4 to 6 hours. Do not forget to wash and sterilize the pump and its components after every use.
Share your thoughts
Be the first to let Hello Doctor know your thoughts!
Join Us or Log In to join the discussion