In another study published in the Journal of The American Academy of Pediatrics2, the researchers observed that fever of over 38.8° C, increased stool number, and stool looseness were not significantly associated with tooth emergence.
The study also highlighted that the following symptoms were not associated with baby teething:
- Decreased appetite for liquids
- Rashes other than facial rashes
- Sleep disturbance
However, it’s interesting to note that in other papers, investigators noted sleep disturbances in teething babies. Also, doctors say low-grade fever of up to 38.2° C may be present.
4. Symptoms may appear for 8 days
The number of days your baby experiences teething symptoms vary, but reports say signs usually occur in 8 days. Symptoms typically start 4 days before tooth eruption, on the day of the emergence, and 3 days after the tooth appears.
5. Some factors might affect baby teething signs
Interestingly, studies show that some early-life factors affect how a baby experiences signs of teething. For instance, one research3 that recruited more than 1,000 children observed that tobacco smoke exposure, childbirth via C-section, and maternal vitamin insufficiency during pregnancy affected the child’s susceptibility to teething pain.
How to Soothe Baby Teething Signs
Experts recommend the following tips in soothing a teething baby:
- Gently rub their baby gums with your clean fingers, a small, cool spoon, or a wet gauze pad. This helps with swollen and sore gums.
- Give them a clean teether that they can chew on. As much as possible, choose teething rings made with solid rubber. Avoid the liquid-filled ones or those made of plastics (they can break).
- Wipe the drool from their face to avoid facial rashes.
- Ba careful with teething biscuits as many of them are not nutritious; in fact, they often contain added sugar and salt.
Stay away from teething rings that contain belladonna, lidocaine, or benzocaine. They may numb your baby’s teething pain, but authorities said they might have potential side-effects.
In one report1, investigators noted that cuddle therapy, teething rings, and rubbing their gums were “the most effective methods to reduce the symptoms.” Learn more about soothing a teething baby here.
Knowing the different baby teething signs helps parents prepare better. For instance, they can purchase teething rings in advance and stock up on towels for baby drools. Furthermore, knowing the usual signs allows them to call a doctor immediately when other uncommon symptoms – such as high fever and diarrhea – emerge.
Learn more about Baby Care here.