Before You Get Veneers
There are certain things that you need to know before have your veneers installed. Here are the main ones:
- First of all, your teeth and gums should be healthy. If you have tooth or gum disease or if there is any decay on your teeth those must be treated first before the veneers are installed.
- Veneers are not a good option for those who grind their teeth during sleep. Veneers can break or chip easily so if you grind your teeth when sleeping, you need to tell your dentist.
- The dentist will only remove the necessary amount of enamel when installing veneers but you should remember that the process can’t be reversed when done.
- Veneers will become loose and new ones may have to be installed. Your dentist will tell when the approximate time for getting a new one will be.
- You need to have regular dental visits to maintain your veneers and check on the health of your gums.
Your dentist will be guiding you through the entire process but it is important to know about these basics.
How Long Will Veneers Last?
One of the most common questions about veneers is how long will they last. It’s quite understandable that you would want to know because they are quite expensive.
The average lifespan of porcelain veneers is around 10 years but with proper maintenance and care, it is possible for them to last 20 years. While the way that you take care of your veneer is up to you, keep in mind that porcelain is not the toughest of materials and veneers are very thin. Accidents can happen no matter how careful you are.
Some people wonder if veneers are permanent solutions. They are not. But again, if you take care of them and if you follow instructions, they should last long.
Veneers Teeth Pros and Cons
Like any other dental solution, veneers have pros and cons. Here are some of the pros that it has to offer: