How do you treat tapeworm infection?
Some people with tapeworm infection never receive treatment because the worm exits the body on its own.
If you’ve been diagnosed with intestinal tapeworm infection, the doctor will prescribe you anthelmintic medicines to eliminate the worm. Please note that the drug depends on the species, and it does not target the eggs.
On the other hand, the treatment for cysticercosis depends on the number of cysts and their location. For instance, doctors might decide on the surgical removal of the cysts in the lungs, eyes, and liver since they will eventually interfere with the organ’s functions.
Patients with cysticercosis in the brain may receive the following medicines:
- Anthelmintic medicine
- Antiepileptic drugs
- Anti-inflammatory therapy
Shunt placement in cases of fluid accumulation in the brain may also be necessary.
What are the steps to prevent tapeworm infection?
To avoid tapeworm infection, practice the following:
- Frequent handwashing, particularly before handling food and after using the bathroom.
- Proper disposal of livestock feces.
- If you live or will travel to areas where tapeworm infection is common, wash fruits and vegetables using clean water before consumption.
- Freeze meat for 7 to 10 days and fish for 24 hours before food preparation to destroy tapeworm eggs and larvae.
And finally, cook fish and meat thoroughly.
Cook fish until it gains a solid color and flakes when you separate the meat using a fork. As for meat, cook them until the juice runs clear and the middle is no longer pink. The cooking temperature should be somewhere around 63 C.
Bulate Sa Tiyan: How Can Worms End Up in Your Intestines?