Sabila or aloe vera medicinal uses or properties also includes antitoxic, antimutagenic, and anticancer.
It also functions as a laxative, radioprotective, antiviral, anti-leukemic, antigenotoxic, antiproliferative, immunomodulatory, antidiabetic, wound healing, antimicrobial, anti-ageing, anti-wrinkle, hepatotoxic, antioxidant, sedative properties.
Different uses of Aloe Vera (Sabila)
Sabila is one of the few herbal plants that is widely used all over the world, including Western society. Aloe vera is included in different skin care, health, and beauty products.
You can find aloe vera in skin moisturizers, shampoos, soaps, makeup creams, sun lotions, perfumes, shaving creams, and other bathing products.
The leaves, sap, and pulp can be also used. The leaves can be harvested and rinsed with water and turned into juice.
Sabila has two medicinally useful parts. The clear gel within its leaves that can help treat skin conditions.
The second substance is called aloe latex, which can be used to treat digestive conditions, such as constipation.
Aloe Vera Medicinal Uses
There are many ways to use sabila or aloe vera medically. Some of them are:
- Sabila is used to treat wounds and other skin conditions such as psoriasis, burns, sunburns, insect bites.
- It can help treat arthritis, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy and osteoarthritis.
- In small doses, it can be used as a tonic.
- It heals conjunctivitis by applying the leaf juice to the outer eyelid.
- It helps with heartburn relief. Consuming 1 to 3 ounces of aloe gel at mealtime could reduce the severity of GERD.
- Sabila can also help lower blood sugar. Taking in at least 2 tablespoons of sabila juice daily helps to lower the blood sugar content of people with type 2 diabetes.
- For hemorrhoids, Sabila cuticles found on the leaves can be used as a suppository. When taken orally, it serves as a laxative.
- It can also work as a powerful antioxidant. Sabila contains various antioxidant compounds that inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria.
- It can treat canker sores that form underneath the lip, inside the mouth, and last for about 7-10 days. Aloe vera helps to accelerate the healing of mouth ulcers.