Things you should avoid when you have a chicken allergy
If you have a chicken allergy, stay away from all foods that have chicken in them. In particular, you need to be wary of dishes with broth from meat and chicken bones
Chicken is also often used as a substitute for red meats. So you can see it in hamburgers. Always make sure the dishes you prepare to eat are completely free of any ingredients made from chicken.
Instead of chicken, you can try the following foods:
- Use chickpeas in place of chicken in soups and stir-fries.
- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Use beef or soy protein products instead of chicken in stews.
- Try consuming other protein sources like fish, pork or beans.
- If you are allergic to chicken feathers, a down blanket or pillow can also cause an allergic reaction. In this case, use other pillows instead.
- Before taking any vaccines, you should inform your doctor about your allergies. Some vaccines can trigger a response, such as the yellow fever vaccine that contains a protein found in chicken.
- You also need to take extra precautions if you plan to visit a zoo or farm, especially if you are allergic to raw chicken or waterfowl.
When Should You Go to the Hospital?
If you suspect you have a food allergy, you should visit a hospital to determine the cause. At the hospital, an allergist may recommend a skin prick test or a blood test to aid in the diagnosis.
In addition, your doctor may also ask you to follow a diet to determine if chicken is the cause of your allergy. Once you know the cause of your allergy, you will know how to balance your diet and nutritional content to protect your health in the best way.
Once diagnosed, your doctor will recommend that you take an over-the-counter antihistamine to treat your allergy symptoms.
In the event of anaphylaxis, you need immediate medical attention, even if you have already used the EpiPen.
Eating chicken with itching is a completely manageable condition if you know how to check the ingredients and be careful of potential allergens. Besides, going to the hospital to see a doctor will also help you better manage your symptoms.
Learn more about Healthy Eating here.