What is Strepsils® used for?
Strepsils® are lozenges that have antiseptic properties. Antiseptics are chemicals or drugs used to kill microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses on living tissues. Antiseptics are different from antimicrobials because they are not ingested or administered through the blood nor do they have specific action against certain species of bacteria, fungi, or viruses.
Strepsils® lozenges are available in a variety of flavors and formulations that aim to treat different illnesses. Unlike antibiotics, the lozenges can be bought over the counter without a prescription. They work best at the first sign of illness, before bacteria or other microorganisms have time to replicate and travel further down the throat.
Strepsils® is mainly indicated for:
- Itchy, sore throat
- Painful, irritated throat
- Throat inflammation
- Sore throat with cough
How should I take Strepsils®?
Strepsils® is available as an oral lozenge. Open the package carefully and place one lozenge on your tongue. Allow the lozenge to dissolve slowly (approximately 15 to 30 minutes) in your mouth. Do not chew, crush, or swallow the lozenge. Avoid eating or drinking anything while the lozenge is in your mouth.
How do I store Strepsils®?
This drug should be stored at room temperature (<30°C) and be protected from moisture. For safety, keep out of the reach of children and pets.
Always check the label before using this product. Do not use if the printed expiration date has passed, the product seal has been broken, or the product has changed in color, odor, or consistency.
Do not dispose of this product by pouring it down the drain, toilet, or into the environment. Ask your pharmacist regarding the proper way and location of disposal.
Precautions & Warnings
What should I know before using Strepsils®?
Before using this medication, inform your doctor if:
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to Strepsils® or similar products
- You have a history of allergy to other medications, food, or other substances
- You are taking other medications
- You have underlying health conditions
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate and well-controlled studies using Strepsils® in pregnant women. This drug should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus, as determined by your doctor.
The active ingredients of Stepsils may be excreted in breast milk. This drug should be used while breastfeeding only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the child, as determined by your doctor.
What side effects can occur when using Strepsils®?
All drugs have the potential to elicit side effects even with normal use. Many side effects are dose-related and will resolve when it is adjusted or at the end of therapy.
Potential side effects while using this drug include:
- Mild allergic reaction
- Elevated blood sugar (except the sugar-free variant)
You may experience some, none, or other side effects not mentioned above. If you experience serious adverse reactions, you must stop taking the drug immediately. If you have any concerns about a side effect or it becomes bothersome, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Strepsils®?
This drug may interact with other medications. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist.
If you experience an adverse drug interaction, stop taking this drug and continue taking your other medication. Inform your doctor immediately to reevaluate your treatment plan. Your dose may need to be adjusted, substituted with another drug, or discontinue using the drug.
Does food or alcohol interact with Strepsils®?
Strepsils® can be taken with or without meals, as there is no notable interaction. There are no notable interactions with alcohol. Avoid eating or drinking while the lozenge is in your mouth.
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any concerns regarding food-drug interactions.
What health conditions may interact with Strepsils®?
This drug should be taken with caution if you have any of the following conditions or risk factors:
- Active infection
- Mouth sores
- Diabetes mellitus
Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any concerns regarding specific health conditions.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist before using Strepsils®.
What is the dose of Strepsils® for an adult?
- Slowly dissolve 1 lozenge in your mouth every 2 to 3 hours, or as directed by your physician.
- Do not take more than 12 lozenges in a 24 hour period.
What is the dose of Strepsils® for a child?
- Ages 6 and above: Give 1 lozenge every 2 to 3 hours, or as directed by your child’s pediatrician.
- Give the Strepsils® Children variant of lozenges.
How is Strepsils® available?
This drug is available in the following variants, dosage forms, and strengths:
- Strepsils® for Sore & Itchy Throat lozenges
- Each lozenge contains dichlorobenzyl alcohol 1.2 mg + amylmetacresol 600 mcg
- Flavors: Original, honey & lemon, orange, menthol, herbal mint
- Strepsils® Orange with Vitamin C lozenges
- Each lozenge contains dichlorobenzyl alcohol 1.2 mg + amylmetacresol 600 mcg + vitamin C 100 mg
- Strepsils® Max lozenges
- Each lozenge contains hexylresorcinol 2.4 mg
- Flavors: blackcurrant
- Strepsils® Max Pro lozenges
- Each lozenge contains flurbiprofen 8.75 mg
- Flavors: honey & lemon
- Strepsils® Dry Cough
- Each lozenge contains dextromethorphan HBr 5 mg
- Strepsils® Chesty Cough lozenges
- Each lozenge contains ambroxol HCl 15 mg
- Strepsils® Children 6+ Strawberry Sugar-free lozenges
- Contains dichlorobenzyl alcohol + amylmetacresol
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of this drug, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.