Making the right lifestyle choices can usually prevent this type of anemia:
1. Strive for a healthy diet: This is easier said than done. However, you don’t have to make any drastic changes. Try incorporating healthier and nutrient-dense food in your diet like:
- Green and leafy vegetables
- Red meat
- Dairy products such as cheese or milk
- Citrus fruits
2. Quit smoking: Smoking can interfere with many of the body’s essential functions like absorbing vitamin C. Meanwhile, quitting smoking can have many positive impacts on your health.
3. Consult your doctor about multivitamins.
4. Drink alcohol in moderation, or try not to drink any alcoholic beverages at all.
Vitamin deficiency anemia is a condition where a person does not have enough folate, vitamin B9 or vitamin B12 to produce enough healthy red blood cells. Having a healthy diet and avoiding vices like drinking or smoking can also greatly reduce your risk of developing this type of anemia.
Learn more about Anemia here.