How to do Kangaroo Care
After you give birth, you will be assisted by your nurse to help you start with this method. Here are some the things you should do to help you get started:
- You should wear clothes that easily open in the front. You may remove your bra or under garments.
- The baby should wear nothing but a diaper and a bonnet to protect his or her head.
Place the baby against your bare chest in an upright position.
- Once you’re settled, cover your baby’s back with a blanket. Make sure he is warm and comfortable while he or she snuggled against your chest.
- Try to relax as you hold your baby. Keep your focus on your child during the session.
- Allow your child to relax and fall asleep during the session. Avoid playing with him or her and make use of this time to rest and sleep together.
- Plan your next kangaroo care sessions. An hour a day, four or more times a week will make a big impact on your child. Talk to your health care provider on how to schedule your sessions.
Taking care of a newborn baby is no easy task.
Whether the baby is full-term or premature, they are all fragile and need your full attention and care. You also have to take care of your physical and mental health.
Recovering properly and gradually from giving birth is not easy. But being healthy will help you take care of your new baby effectively.
Kangaroo care method promotes recovery for both infants and parents. Kangaroo care also makes us realize that no illness or health condition is more powerful than the bond between a parent and their baby.
Learn more about Baby Care, here.