Being aware of the signs of hypertension helps people better manage it, and get their blood pressure under control. As hypertension is usually asymptomatic, there are potential symptoms to warn you of hypertension:
- Blood pressure that’s higher than 130/80
- Headaches especially early in the morning
- Changes in vision (blurred vision)
- Tinnitus (ringing or buzzing of the ears)
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Vertigo (dizziness or imbalance)
- Chest pain or angina
It is also possible for a person with hypertension to overlook any of these symptoms. This is why hypertension is regarded as a silent killer, since the symptoms aren’t always felt.
This is why it is important to regularly check your blood pressure in order to make sure that it is still within the healthy range or below 120/80.
Apart from knowing what is the meaning of hypertension, knowing how to prevent hypertension is very important.
Compared to other potentially life-threatening conditions, hypertension can be managed and people who have been diagnosed are able to control it even without medication.
Here are some of the ways to keep your blood pressure in check:
- Make sure to have a balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables, and low in processed and fatty foods.
- Eat less salty foods, or use less salt in the food you eat.
- Engage in daily exercise, at least 30 minutes each day.
- If you are a smoker, it would be advisable to quit smoking.
- If you regularly drink alcohol, it would be advisable to cut back on your consumption.
If you already have high blood pressure, here are some ways of how to manage and treat hypertension:
- Be sure to constantly monitor your blood pressure to know how well you are managing your hypertension.
- Follow your doctor’s orders, and be sure to drink the medication that your doctor prescribed.
- Avoid eating fatty or salty foods, and add more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Engage in regular exercise to help you maintain a healthy weight and keep your body healthy.
Hypertension is a major health problem not just in the Philippines, but worldwide. In fact, a large number of people with hypertension remain undiagnosed and unaware of their condition.
And aside from knowing what is the meaning of hypertension, knowing what can potentially cause it, and what you can do to manage it is very important.
This is why it would be a good idea to get your blood pressure checked to know if you might be suffering from hypertension. And even if you are still within the normal range, it would be best to make some positive lifestyle changes to start living healthier.
The risk of hypertension increases with age, so keeping healthy while you are still young is a good way to avoid having high blood pressure later on in life.
Share your thoughts
Be the first to let Hello Doctor know your thoughts!
Join Us or Log In to join the discussion