What is Sex Addiction?
Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder or sex addiction can be described as a consistent failed attempt to control one’s self from sexual urges and thoughts which results in repetitive sexual behavior. Sexual behavior includes but is not limited to masturbating, watching porn, and sexting. Over the years, this disorder has been known by different names such as hypersexuality and porn addiction.
Signs and Symptoms of Sex Addiction
A lot of research still needs to be conducted for health professionals to have a definite consensus on what is sex addiction and how it manifests in individuals.
However, here are some signs and symptoms that may suggest that someone is addicted to sex:
- Conducting sexual activities in excessive amounts. These are done to the point where they interfere with work and personal relationships.
- Recurring sexual fantasies and the inability to control one’s self from acting on them.
- Spending a lot of time on sexual acts and fantasies to a point that other aspects of life such as work, hobbies, and social engagements are put aside.
- Engaging in sexual behavior despite the risks of getting in trouble at work, falling out with a loved one, legal problems and transmission of infectious diseases.
- Troubles in decision making.
- Using sex as a way to escape feelings of loneliness, anxiety and stress.
- Tried multiple times to control the urge to engage in sexual behavior and failed.
- Feeling guilty after conducting a sexual act.
- Engaging in sexual behavior even if there is little to no feelings of satisfaction derived from it.
The only way for a person to know if they have sex addiction is to undergo proper assessment by a mental health professional.
Effects of CSBD
People suffering from CSBD can face serious social, physical, and emotional problems. If not diagnosed or treated as soon as possible, it can cause life-altering consequences.