- Numbness and tingling in the mouth, throat, fingers, and toes.
- Pain or burning on contact with cold water.
- Muscular weakness with joint and muscle pain.
- Abdominal pain with nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Itchiness, which worsens with alcohol consumption
- Finally, there’s difficulty breathing in severe cases.
People who experienced ciguatera poisoning should avoid fish, nuts, caffeine, and alcohol for about 6 months after recovery as they may cause a relapse of symptoms.
Scombroid poisoning happens due to the consumption of high levels of histamine.
In fish, bacteria produce histamine. Now, when the seafood is not chilled after capture or stored at the correct temperature before consumption, bacteria could multiply and produce high amounts of histamine.
Symptoms of scombroid poisoning include:
- Experiencing a metallic or peppery taste in your mouth
- Upper body flushing
- Headache and dizziness
- Abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea
Treatment for Seafood Poisoning Symptoms
Please note that seafood poisoning may be a medical emergency. Hence, if you or someone you know develop the symptoms discussed above, it’s best to proceed to the hospital to receive appropriate treatment immediately.
Usually, intervention depends on the cause and the severity of symptoms.
For instance, there’s still no antidote for ciguatera toxin, so the doctor may use different medicines to address the symptoms. On the other hand, most cases of scombroid poisoning respond well to anti-histamine medications.
How to Prevent Seafood Poisoning
Now that we know about the seafood poisoning symptoms and treatment, let’s talk about prevention.
As per BFAR’s advice, people should not consume uncommon and differently-looking seafood. Other tips include:
- Raw fish should be handled properly and stored immediately at the correct temperature.
- If you’re fishing for yourself or your family, be sure to follow posted warnings.
- Always purchase seafood at reputable stores and dealers with business and sanitary permits.
Finally, to receive appropriate treatment, seek medical help immediately if you develop seafood poisoning symptoms.