What is Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic) used for?
Dostan® is commonly used treating abnormal bleeding. Its symptoms are hemorrhagic diseases (purpura, aplastic anemia, cancer, leukemia) such as bloody sputum and hemoptysis in pulmonary tuberculosis; renal and genital bleeding; bleeding in prostatomegaly; abnormal bleeding during operation; menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding).
How should I take Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
It comes as a tablet or capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
Dostan® ampoules are given by Intravenous or Intramuscular injection.
How do I store Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
Dostan® is best stored at room temperature away from direct light and moisture. To prevent drug damage, you should not store Dostan® in the bathroom or the freezer. There may be different brands of Dostan® that may have different storage needs. It is important to always check the product package for instructions on storage, or ask your pharmacist. For safety, you should keep all medicines away from children and pets.
You should not flush Dostan® down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. It is important to properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Precautions & warnings
What should I know before using Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist, if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- You are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, such as herbal and complementary medicines.
- You have allergy with Dostan® or other medications.
Is it safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
There are no adequate studies in women for determining risk when using this medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor to weigh the potential benefits and risks before taking this medication. This medication is pregnancy risk category B, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
FDA pregnancy risk category reference below:
- A=No risk;
- B=No risk in some studies;
- C=There may be some risk;
- D=Positive evidence of risk;
What side effects can occur from Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
Dostan® may cause these side effects, such as:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or dizziness;
- Chest/jaw/left arm pain;
- Sudden shortness of breath;
- Coughing up blood;
- Pain/swelling/warmth in the groin/calf;
- Swelling/weakness/redness/pain in the arms/legs;
- Slurred speech;
- Weakness on one side of the body;
- Vision changes.
Not everyone experiences these side effects. There may be some side effects not listed above. If you have any concerns about a side-effect, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What drugs may interact with Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
Dostan® may interact with other drugs that you are currently taking, which can change how your drug works or increase your risk for serious side effects. To avoid any potential drug interactions, you should keep a list of all the drugs you are using (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. For your safety, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any drugs without your doctor’s approval.
- Blood thinners or anticoagulants such as warfarin, heparin;
- Drugs that prevent bleeding (including factor IX complex, anti-inhibitor coagulant concentrates);
- Estrogens, hormonal birth control such as pills, patch, ring.
Does food or alcohol interact with Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
Dostan® may interact with food or alcohol by altering the way the drug works or increase the risk for serious side effects. Please discuss with your doctor or pharmacist any potential food or alcohol interactions before using this drug.
What health conditions may interact with Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic)?
Dostan® may interact with your health condition. This interaction may worsen your health condition or alter the way the drug works. It is important to always let your doctor and pharmacist know all the health conditions you currently have, especially:
- Current blood clots (e.g., in the legs, lungs, brain, eye);
- Bleeding in the brain(subarachnoid hemorrhage);
- Color vision problems.
The information provided is not a substitute for any medical advice. You should ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this medication.
What is the dose of Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic) for an adult?
- Usual Dose: 1-2 capsules (250 mg) 3 times a day or 1 tab (500 mg) 3-4 times a day.
- Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding): 4 capsules or 2 tablets (1 g) 3 times a day starting on the 1st day of the period for days of heavy flow.
Intravenous or Intramuscular injection:
1-2 amps/day (5-10 ml) (250-500 mg/day) in 1-2 divided doses. During or after surgery, 2-10 amps (10-50 ml) (500-2500 mg) are given by Intravenous drip infusion, if necessary.
What is the dose of Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic) for a child?
The dosage has not been established in pediatric patients. It may be unsafe for your child. It is always important to fully understand the safety of the drug before using. Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How is Dostan® (Acid Tranexamic) available?
- 50mg/ml solution for injection in 5 ml ampoule.
- Capsule 250mg.
- Tablet 500mg.
What should I do in case of an emergency or overdose?
In case of an emergency or an overdose, call your local emergency services (115) or go to your nearest emergency room.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Dostan®, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your regular dose as scheduled. Do not take a double dose.
Hello Health Group does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.