What is a balance disorder?
A balance disorder is a condition or disability that results in feeling dizzy and lightheaded. When you suffer from a balance disorder, you might feel that you’re going to tip over for a while and it gives you the feeling that you are floating or spinning when lying on your back.
A balance disorder is a common condition in older adults, which usually causes them to frequently fall over. This condition ensues when the balance organs in the body do not function well. A balance disorder can negatively affect someone’s normal life as the “dizzy spells” can happen any time, anywhere.
What are the symptoms of a balance disorder?
Aside from feeling unsteady and walking wobbly, here are other symptoms of a balance disorder:
- A spinning sensation or vertigo
- The feeling that you are about to fall or tip over
- Faintness, lightheadedness, or a floating sensation
- Blurred vision or vision and hearing sensitivity
- Disorientation or confusion
- Difficulty walking in a dark room
Symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, changes in blood pressure and heart rate, fear, anxiety, and panic might also be experienced by someone who has a balance disorder.