According to the World Health Organization, the recommendation for the best formula milk for baby should be based on their medical needs. Hence, consulting a pediatrician is an important step.
What Are the Available Formula Milk Preparations?
Filipino parents are highly aware of the powdered formula preparation. In this preparation, you need to measure the powder by the scoop and mix it with water. By far, this is the least expensive option.
However, did you know that there are other available preparations? They are:
- Concentrated liquid formula. It may come in liquid form, but you still need to mix it with water.
- Ready-to-use formula. This is the most convenient preparation as you do not need to mix it with water. However, it is also the most expensive.
How To Choose the Best Formula Milk for Baby
When choosing the best formula milk for baby, you must consult your doctor as formula milk is recommended based on your baby’s medical and nutritional needs. For this reason, consider the following types when shopping for formula milk:
First on our list is cow’s milk. It accounts for 80% of formula milk in the market. Some mothers may choose this as the best formula milk for baby if they do not have an underlying condition such as milk allergy.
Cow’s milk is generally safe because of its following attributes:
- Its proteins are more “digestible.” Manufacturers achieve this through heat treatment and other methods.
- Manufacturers add more lactose (milk sugar) to cow’s milk so it will resemble breastmilk more.
- The butterfat in cow’s milk, which is difficult for infants to digest, is removed. In its place is vegetable oil, which is not only more digestible but also better for growth and development.
Soy Milk Formula
Unlike the typical milk-based formula, preparations with soy milk have a different composition. For instance, its proteins come from soy and its carbohydrates are in the form of either sucrose or glucose, and not lactose.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “There are few occasions in which soy formula should be preferred over cow milk-based preparations.”
Soy milk could be the best formula milk for baby if:
- They cannot tolerate or are allergic to lactose in cow milk-based infant formula.
- You want to exclude animal proteins in your baby’s nutrition.
Hydrolyzed milk is also called “pre-digested” formula, because it contains proteins that are already broken down into smaller forms for easier digestion. It may be the best formula milk for baby if they cannot tolerate both cow milk and soy milk.
Some reports claim that if your baby has a high risk of developing allergies, feeding them hydrolyzed milk may delay the onset of conditions like atopic dermatitis. However, experts also mentioned that they need more studies to confirm the claim.